PE & Sport Premium
In this section you will find details regrading the PE (physical education) and sport premium funding. It includes:
- how much funding we received
- a full breakdown of how we’ve spent the funding or will spend the funding
- the effect of the premium on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment
- how we’ll make sure these improvements are sustainable
- how many pupils within our Year 6 cohort can do each of the following:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
At Florence Melly Community Primary School, we believe that physical education and sport play a crucial role in improving our pupils’ physical wellbeing and lifestyles. We continue to offer a highly effective PE programme and build on the embedded sporting culture in our school through a well planned programme of action to promote participation, progress, achievement and enjoyment.
We are committed to:
- making additional and sustained improvements to the quality of PE and sport in our school.
- developing and adding to the PE and sport activities that we already offer.
- building capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
At Florence Melly Community Primary School, we continue to see improvements in:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity.
- the raised profile of PE and Sport across the school, driving whole-school improvement.
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of staff in teaching PE and sport.
- the broader experiences of a range of sports and activities offered to our pupils.
- increased participation in competitive sport.
PE and Sport Premium Allocation for 2018/19 is £19,410.
Please find below a link to a full breakdown of how we intend on spending the 2018/19 PE and Sport Premium Funding Allocation:
PE and Sport Premium Allocation for 2017/18 was: £19,410.00
We evaluate the impact of the Sports Premium Funding annually and measure its impact on pupil outcomes. Please find below a copy of the school’s funding allocation for 2016/17 which provides a full breakdown of how the money was spent, a statement capturing the impact on the pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment and how the improvements will be sustained in the future.
A Selection of Latest Physical Education Activities
Check out just some of the wonderful activities our children get up to in PE. Please visit our Twitter and Flickr feeds for more fantastic activities.
Increased participation in competitive sport.
A huge congratulations to our talented Year 5 and Year 6 pupils who participated in a schools Dance Competition run by @Leapclasses. Our children did wonderfully well, winning individual awards and the overall competition. As part of our continuous drive to improve physical education in our school, we try to provide as many opportunities for our pupils to participate in competitive sport. This is the first time we have competed in a dance competition but it certainly won’t be the last! A big thank you to Miss Waters for training the children. Well done!
Providing broader experiences of a range of sports and activities.
Earlier this term, our Year 6 pupils visited an adventure centre in the Lake District for a two night residential. The children participated in tomahawk throwing, archery, gauntlet and a whole host of other exciting activities. The trip proved to be a huge hit and epitomised what we are all about at Florence Melly… creating memorable experiences for our pupils!
The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity.
Ahead of ‘The Magic Weekend’ at Anfield, super league club Wigan Warriors visited our school and delivered brilliant coaching sessions to pupils across the school, where for some it was their first taste of rugby. We were also donated several tickets for the rugby Magic Weekend via Red Neighbours, so some lucky pupils got to enjoy a taste of live rugby league!
Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of staff in teaching PE and sport.
A huge thank you to Mrs Dentith our PE Subject Lead for organising a special gymnastics competition alongside Leap (a company who come into school and provide specialist gymnastic teaching). A team participated in a range of gymnastics events and eventually won the gold medal in the floor element. We are super proud of their achievement! Well done to all involved! All of our pupils have participated in expert gymnastics lessons this academic year and our staff have observed, analysed and discussed effective teaching methods with the specialist teacher so that high quality gymnastics teaching is sustainable in our school in the future.
Raising the profile of PE and Sport across the school.
At Florence Melly we’re committed to providing the best possible opportunities to our pupils in all areas of the curriculum and PE is no different. Mrs Dentith, our PE Coordinator has set out a new plan to improve PE and Sport across our school. As part of this plan, our pupils had the opportunity to participate in an extra-curricular Judo club – something we have never offered in our school before. To introduce the pupils to Judo, we received a masterclass assembly and it went down a treat!